Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Friday, March 18, 2005

A direction?

I just started an English class online at the community college this past spring. I had taken some other courses before this and had many, many credits in communication arts, which was my major back in the 80’s.

The first assignment from my English instructor was to write an essay describing why we were going to college and what we had hoped to achieve. I really didn’t know what to say. My direction seemed undefined and to think I’ll get a degree, one class at a time, seemed even too overwhelming to talk about. Besides I was all ready doing what I wanted to do in life, sculpting and writing.

I decided I would write an article about returning back to college later in life. I had felt that my research on this article would somehow define what direction I was going in. I had no idea what an impact it would have. Looking back it has only been a few months and I can hardly believe all that has happened.

THE ENGLISH ESSAY
Bridgette Mongeon
January 18, 2005

Diagnostic Essay

When asked to write about my feelings about education, my educational experiences, goals and interests, I have to work hard at not taking out my soapbox. Until returning to school as a mature adult, my experience with English was less than satisfying. I have very few memories of English in high school except, maybe, the English teacher that took away my sketchbook. It was not until I was an adult that I discovered I was a kinesthetic/tactile learner and that doodling in class actually helped me to understand and retain the material.

I suppose, in some ways, working through these courses helps me with my own insecurities. For most of my childhood I was known as a horrible speller. Overcoming those insecurities to pursue writing was a huge accomplishment.

My participating in English at age 43 is different than at age 34 or even 19. Now it is something that I want to do instead of something I have to do. Having this intrinsic motivation makes learning so much more enjoyable.

I’m really trying to take my time and enjoy each class. I want to do my best. I am realizing that many students just want to get the credits. I want to get as much as I can out of each class. It sometimes means that I go further than is expected or that most would try to go. I would really rather look at this pursuit of education as an adventure.

I am not really sure what my goal is for college. To say, “I’m going to get this degree or that degree,” seems extremely overwhelming. I’m taking courses because I know that the degree is something that I want, and the process of learning is very stimulating. For so long people have asked what my degrees are in. Because of my ability to learn on my own, and the intelligence I share in public speaking, writing, and teaching, I suppose they assume I am degreed.

A few years ago a friend my age was working for Houston Public Broadcasting System and was laid off. She had over 15 year in the communications industry. When seeking employment, she was turned away because she “did not have a degree.” I began to realize that, even with a ton of experience, a degree later in life is more important than at a younger, especially for women.

Although I am a professional sculptor, I am not sure how long I will physically be able to do my job. If I need to go in another direction, I do not want, not having a degree to keep me from achieving future goals or providing for myself.

I do plan to transfer to Thomas Edison State College, because they offer credits for life experience. I feel confident that this educational pursuit will be very rewarding. Picking a major is a little trickier. I have a ton of experience in the arts, but I also have such a passion for writing and communication. The books that I am writing deal with creativity, the mind, the science of the creative process, education, the mind and healing. Many of these interests pertain to psychology and science. I have even toyed with the idea of art therapy in psychology. Having so many interests and talents makes choosing a major very difficult. So, for right now, I’ll just focus on this English class.

In the next few months, I plan on writing an article for a major magazine about going back to college. As I do my research (I absolutely love research) I know I will actually be defining more of my future.

Until my future defines itself - I am very happy with the writing that I do, and my sculpting. My new project, commissioned by the Texas Press Association for the Texas State Capitol building, as well as my other commissions, keep me busy. I’m blessed to be able to do what I love.

When speaking about education, creativity, and goals, I might be standing on my soapbox, sitting on it, or I may even be leaning back and chatting with friends, pondering possibilities. I feel sure that concerning my education, whatever I do in the future, whether art, writing, or communication, I know I will be assisting others with expression while expressing myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home