Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Monday, April 23, 2007

Inquiries- at least that is a start

Today I called the Master of Fine Arts in Writing Children’s Literature at Vermont College Union Institute. Katy Gustafson is the administrative director- 1800-336-6794. She and I had spoken when she was with Vermont College Undergraduate College working in admissions.

The deadline for applications for the summer program has been extended to May 18th The residency runs July 14th-July 25th, a little longer than a Vermont College undergraduate residency. The July 14th date is for the newbies. You leave on the 25th. That is always good to know, especially when you are flying from a long distance. The next residency is Jan 12th through January 23rd. Looks like I’ll definitely be in snow if I make this program. The first deadline for admissions for the January residency is October 1st.

I asked her if you received one MFA if you could have an accelerated one in another program. For example, if I received an MFA in writing children’s literature, do I have to go through the entire program to get another MFA in sculpting? She said that most MFA’s do not have transferable credits you can petition the school, after you are a student, for an acceleration of one semester. You have to prove, through publishing or teaching that you have the skills to skip a semester. She is not sure if the MFA in sculpting has anything similar. My reasoning for this is of course future teaching. To teach sculpting at a university level I need an MFA with 18 hours working in the area of expertise. So even with an MFA in writing I might not be able to teach sculpting. Doing a second MFA is not what I want to do either. I really would like to go on with a PHD studying creativity, especially as it pertains to neurology and behavioral psychology. Of course that could change by the time I get done with the MFA work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home