Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Monday, April 23, 2007

FEAR, DREAD, ANXIETY

It is funny, I should be used to this fear, the fear of applying, the fear of possible rejection. How often I have conquered it? I remember how terrified I was the first time I sent in something to a magazine. After years of being published in the magazine the fear went away. I had anxiety over the admissions of the undergraduate application and once I was a student I feared the EXCEL that I did for life credits and even the CLEP tests, but I got through each of those. One would think that after facing fear so much it would just not appear. Yet here it is again.

Perhaps it feels fresh because I have seven rejections on my desk from publishers concerning my book “Bringing to Life The Spirit of the Deceased–A Sculptor’s Journey, and, because I am about to send in my first children’s book to publishers.

I know some of the best have been rejected here are some quote on rejection found at I found these tidbits on rejection at http://net-burst.net/hot/cope.htm

"I take rejection as someone blowing a bugle in my ear to wake me up and get going, rather than retreat." Sylvester Stallone

"I discovered that rejections are not altogether a bad thing. They teach a writer to rely on his own judgment and to say in his heart of hearts, 'To hell with you.' "Saul Bellow

"It is not rejection itself that people fear, it is the possible consequences of rejection. Preparing to accept those consequences and viewing rejection as a learning experience that will bring you closer to success, will not only help you to conquer the fear of rejection, but help you to appreciate rejection itself." Bo Bennett

"‘Balding, skinny, can dance a little,’ they said of Fred Astaire at his first audition."
" Beethoven’s music teacher declared him ‘hopeless’ at composing."
"Albert Einstein’s parents feared he was sub-normal."

"It was the dead of night. A shadow slunk down the street. It was Charles with the dickens of a problem. He was off to mail his manuscript, huddling his guilty secret, petrified lest friends find out and ridicule him. The manuscript was rejected. More rejections pierced him before he won the hearts of millions with such classics as Oliver Twist."

And I found this about rejections of writers http://www.scribesworld.com/writersniche/articles/FamousRejections.htm

“And how about the classic tale of Moby Dick by Herman Melville, 1851. The reviewers called it, “so much trash belonging to the worst school of Bedlam literature…”

"The Great Gatsby
F. Scott Fitzgerald, 1925
“Mr. F. Scott Fitzgerald deserves a good shaking … The Great Gatsby is an absurd story, whether considered as romance, melodrama, or plain record of New York high life.” – Saturday Review of Literature"

"Dr. Seuss, 1937 was told this about his book And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street.
“…too different from other juveniles on the market to warrant its selling.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home