Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

More about the diplomas- OUTRAGE from graduates?

As our graduating group has discussions on the outrage of the design change of the diplomas those that graduated are weighing in on it. Nancy has given me permission to print her letter and photographs that she sent me. Any other graduates or students want to express their opinion?


"The Diploma dilemma: I am not letting this go until the class of 2011 gets the right of passage diploma that we deserve. I have taken photos of my children's diplomas. Interesting, my son just graduated from eight grade to high school, my daughter just graduated from high school entering college and myself MFA entering society with a new voice.

My Diploma looks so cheap and unprofessional. I did not show my children. If our voice is not heard and the situation out of respect for us not changed, I will be going to Grand Central and taking the three diplomas and getting the peoples opinions and voice on this social issue. I do believe this mis-representation is a social issue. Below are the photos. I hope you show them at your G meeting today and speak that the recent graduates need to be part of the change if and I hope there is a change from cheap diploma to traditional diploma or a diploma that has all the right legal embossing.

As it stands it is my impression that my son's diploma and my diploma can be reprinted with no problem."

Sincerely,
Nancy



4 Comments:

  • I am also incredibly disappointed at the "new design" of this most important and well-deserved document. I contacted Lara DeLuca in the registrar and after several minutes of Lara explaining, in a very shaky voice, the reason behind this change, I requested that I speak with someone else who might have more insight. She told me to contact Josh Castle, associate dean and registrar. She also said that the alumni committee is also responsible for this new design.
    Reasons: "The tacky gold seal is not the Goddard style." "Usually you would receive your diploma rolled up in a tube. We thought this eco-friendly folder was a better choice."
    I reminded Lara that, as this is a low-residency program and most of us do not live in Vermont, we have to travel with this very important document packed away in our suitcase.
    After several years of looking forward to presenting my diploma on my office wall next to my colleagues, my diploma will be living in a dark closet. I have already had to explain the type of graduate program that I have been in for almost three years and I don't look forward to explaining the aesthetic quality of the certificate I have waited so long to hold.
    Your thoughts?

    Whitney Moncrief

    By Blogger Whitney, at 6:57 AM  

  • ok -Anonymous wrote this, it came to my email then apparently they deleted their post. So I'm posting it to see what my classmates think of this anonymous statement.


    Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "More about the diplomas-
    OUTRAGE from graduates?":

    I think the diploma looks fine. You went to a college with no tests or
    grades, so why do you care if your diploma looks like other diplomas?
    If you went to Goddard to get a diploma to show off to your friends,
    then you probably went to the wrong school.

    Posted by Anonymous to Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back
    to school at 11:13 AM

    By Blogger isculpt, at 2:35 PM  

  • Dear "Anonymous",

    My initial response was to ask if you are a Goddard student or graduate and then ask why you prefer to be "anonymous" given the type of open community Goddard encourages...fear or insecurity?
    I never wrote that I wanted my diploma to look like others', I only want it to look authentic and I certainly did not put forth a lot of money, time, effort and passion to show off a piece of paper to my friends, rather I worked my ass off to hang something that I am very proud of on my wall with my colleagues and to encourage my students to consider a MFA program that is colorful and personal...very different from my diploma.
    Cheers,
    Whitney Moncrief

    By Blogger Whitney, at 10:24 AM  

  • Has there been any resolution or update to this dilemma?

    -Edward/Chicago

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home