Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Sunday, January 22, 2012

A new student e mailed me today...

I am so glad that a new student e mailed me today. It is good to know that this blog, the welcoming committee and all that I have tried to do at Goddard has made a difference, even if it is just for one person.

The new student mentioned that they had not received anything from Goddard except notification that they had gotten in. My first experiences with Goddard were the same. I did not receive anything but a bill!  It left me feeling a bit irritated and with a sense of floundering about in the abyss that is G1s first pre residency.

If there were one thing I would change about all that I have tried to do is that I wish I could contact each of the new students personally. I used to do this at Vermont College, but Goddard does not allow this.  E mail notification is not enough, many don't use e mail or prefer something to hold in their hands.  I apologize for this part of our program, it can, without explanation, make you wonder, did I really do the right thing by applying to this college?  Did they just want my money and now I'm left in the cold?  Hang in there.  It will all be worth it.

The blog helps with all of these things, It is communication between a student and new student.  It is however, very blunt, very real  It is not in association with the College, so you can see the good and the bad.  I hope that it does not discourage, but instead gives you some tools.

WHAT IS NEW?
In light of the new G1's coming to campus I thought I might post some of the news that they are not getting, and additional thoughts.

These things came through e mail- I'll post more when they arrive!

FOOD 
"We have a new bakery on campus turning out all our bread, pastries etc. you can make your own waffles at every breakfast. Meatless Monday is no more - but we hold fast to the ideas - we have vegetarian and vegan entree options at every meal. Lots of Gluten Free options as well. We're making just about everything from scratch, using as much locally sourced food as possible. "


"Paul and I have the dining room open 24 hours during residencies - meaning you can always get coffee, tea, snacks. No more waiting for coffee if you're an early riser. "  THIS WAS HUGE IN THE PAST- many students complained that they could not get coffee first thing in the morning.  


"Lastly - I'll have the kitchen serving hot food till 10pm on Thursday the 2nd - So if you're arriving late - don't worry. We got you covered. "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home