Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Morning has broken

Mike wakes up first and goes outside. I am anxious to look but a little afraid. What a great relief! Everything is intact. I know it is because that eye went east, instead of coming through Galveston like Alicia did 21 years ago. Alicia definitely caused more damage in Houston, at least in my yard. Rita was kind. The leaves are everywhere. Mikes says tilly is poking her head up looking for me. The pond is o.k. But full of leaves and I can’t believe that I still need to fill it up.

Several small branches are on the ground. We can’t wait to get the boards off the window and mike starts as soon as everyone is awake. He is so conscientious. I am so proud of all of the perpetrations that he did. Later he tells me that he feels funny how much we did and guilty that we spent so much money. We figure somewhere in the neighborhood of 900. I told him that it made me feel very protected and I am proud that he took the role and acted on it without a thought. As I said, had that hurricane came in as a cat 5 or even a 4 over us, there is no telling if we would be here. You must plan in advance for these things.

The house has a sense of rebirthing with each piece of wood that comes off of her. I am glad those pieces of wood were there, they made me feel secure. But under different circumstance those pieces of wood could be like the lids to coffins. I can still see the vision of the firemen from the news last night they were trying to get into areas that had been boarded up and were now on fire.

I am glad to see Mike’s brother pitch in and take care of taking down the wood. It was exhausting putting it up, but it came down very quickly.

I pull out the lawn chairs from the studio. It is still very windy outside, but it feels refreshing and not frightening.

I feel so grateful, so lucky so glad to be alive and so happy to still have my house and studio.

The electricity is still off and though the police advise against it we decide to take a quick trip around the neighborhood to see the damage. There is very little damage as compared to Alicia. Again I am so thankful. I do know, as I give this thanks, that somewhere someone else has not been so lucky.

Mike and I evaluate our feelings.
Mike
Feels jipped, but very thankful
Me
Thankful and I don’t want anyone to ditch anyone else’s efforts to prepare. Thank you god.

I worry that those who are in Houston, who might feel that it could have been worse, will not be conscientious next time a hurricane comes. There is nothing worse than complacency of people when it comes to a hurricane arriving or the possibility. I am convinced people were more prepared and conscientious because of Katrina.


When home I cook up eggs on the Coleman stove and Tony and Silvia pack their things.
They know they have electricity at their homes and have decided to leave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home