Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Monday, April 17, 2006

On your mark... get set... go!

Saturday,
The residency begins and you hit the ground running. We have to register and hang the art show at the same time.

( Photo of hanging show)

One of our new students is a curator and I was glad that he hung the photographs of my work.

First exploratory meeting.
Everyone goes to their first exploratory meeting today. New students have been walking around in a daze still not believing that they can study what they want. It is amazing how serious everyone takes the responsibility of teaching his or her self something. There were about six people in the first exploratory meeting. We all take turns talking about what we like to study and the professor gives suggestions about things to read and what we think we would like to learn. It is sometimes surprising at how people’s studies change and formulate. “Trust the process” is the motto and again I see it played out in residency. Somehow it just happens.

Returning group presentations
Our little groups from last semester get together and present their studies. Caroline presented hers. She studied nature and had this incredible nature journal. I want to make one. I want to have a journal by my pond where I can sketch my turtle and the plants and the baby turtles and document when I see the first dragon fly nymph. I can’t wait.

My presentation went well; as usual I tried to invite all of the new people to the presentation. Everyone said I did well. I put together a slide show and read from some of my writings. I am glad I presented on Saturday, because I might not be able to talk after singing on Sunday morning.

The art show was lovely. So much nice work. Devony, a girl in my study group, created these wonderful amulets. Helen, a culminator and good friend, gave me one of her leaf paintings. I am so happy to have a piece of her.






As part of the art show we all got together and thought about Charlotte. It was fun to hear the stories and laugh. One person talked about Brit graduating and how he asked the audience where they felt God in here bodies. Charlotte said something like “ Brit we only have 5 minutes and you want to talk about God.” We laughed. I talked about how charlotte entered my first group meeting twenty minutes late and then turned to us and said “ I guess we should pick some dates when you should hand your packets in, when would you like to do that.”

I still think of the bond that charlotte and I had. We both knew that it was a longer bond than just at Vermont College. Sometimes we would look at each other from across the room and smile, we both knew that somehow we have a spiritual connection that is very dear and old.
I was not sure how I would handle this session. I mean I could not handle 3 minutes of silence in round robin without having to leave for tissues, but I did o.k.

I miss charlotte.


After the show I went to the library to type up the songs. I laughed so hard because when I was proofing Amazing Grace the first line read Amazing Grade. What a Freudian slip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home