Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day 2- we get our advisors meet our groups

Here I am posting again, from my dorm room in Kilpatrik. Someone responded and actually is reading this blog. I had always thought it would be for new people coming in, but instead it is alum. Hi alum. Glad to be a part of your memories. Please forgive the typing errors.

My room in Kilpatrick is facing the community center. The view is blocked outside my window by a yellow and white tent put up for the graduates who want to graduate outdoors, and I am sure are praying, visualizing or doing their own individual rituals to facilitate nice weather. I’m so thrilled that this dorm room does not have the tin outside the window- see previous posts. Last night I awoke and thought, “Is it raining?” And was pleased I could ask the question instead of being awoke by the drumbeat of the rain on tin.

Though most G1’s don’t understand this process that we are instructed to trust, I feel at home. Still they also don’t know that the energy will change after graduation when those who have worked so hard have done their jobs and now must face the world and leaving the confines of this creative space. For them it is exhilarating and sad. That is the way it felt when I left Vermont College.

Today was they day they posted the advisors. People clamored around the board wondering, did they make the team? I had no expectations and was not given a choice as a G1. “ I have who I have,” was my motto. It will work or I simply will ask my advisor, “Can we make this work?” My advisor has apparently been here for about 7 years. Judy Hiramoto. I know I will have to defend my study, because as you have read, from previous posts I must have graduate level course equivalents in sculpting even though I have as others state, “achieved graduate level work.” It is like being caught between a rock and a hard place. Of course there is a way I will define this study, and once I have my study plan approved I’ll post it for others to look at. What your study plan online? Exposure to the max!

There are two study plans due. One is for the entire program. Yes it sound overwhelming but it is not really. Then why am I blogging instead of doing it?

The other is for the semester. Then there is the bibliography. Now I am wondering if there are two, one for each. I’ll have to check that out.

I want to focus on writing my study plans, and know how I am. Funny. There is something about where I am sitting, the position etc. that prompts me to think in a certain way. Because I have switched from laptop to desktop, I’m considering working in the lab for a while. I’m not focusing the way I would at my dektop. Maybe If I go to the computer lab it will prompt a different portion of my brain. “Someone should do a study on that,” your place in space and brain retention and activity. Plus this laptop is hot on my lap!

I asked several advanced students today their suggestions and I thought I should post them here. Some I may have recorded before.

1. Annotate your cumulative bib. It will save you tons of time in your final semester.
2. Don’t wait too long to think about your practicum.
3. Don’t be too specific in your overall study plan.
4. Advisors are here to help.
5. Any question is a good question.
6. Underline your responses to the books and make use of RefWorks
7. Trust the process, “Breath”.
8. Enjoy every minute of it.
9. Write a lot but don’t forget to work.

….

I left campus for a trip to Walmart. Playing hooky. This was so cool. We went through Montpelier, and the Sculpture of Dick Hathaway was roped off. Apparently he was attending a wedding. On the way back the wedding was over, and I got to see Dick one more time. The wedding party put flowers in his hands and when I walked up people were interacting with him. Living in Texas I don’t get to see interaction. It warmed my heart to see just that. I’ll post pictures of that later.

There are things going on in the Haybarn, and presentations through the evening. But instead I believe I will take my pen drive over the computer lab. Time to get to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home