Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Friday, January 29, 2010

Greetings from Goddard College





I’m so glad that my flight went without a hitch, and… my bag was in Burlington when I got here. So far one person has no suitcase, another person shipped her things and they never arrived. Note: help desk has free toothbrushes, bring extra night clothes to share with friends.

Amanda and I sat in the lounge area for our meet and greet of as many G1’s as possible. Hot apple cider and cookies enticed others to join us. ( students are referred to by their place in the program Graduate 1's are the new students, I'm now a G2) I suppose this will be a meet and greet will be a new regular thing 3:30- until dinner.

Dinner was uneventful for a meal. I stopped into the G1’s orientation to introduce myself. And then walked up to the upper dorms to get the wine that I purchased at the grocery store on the way in to Campus. My ride and good friend Doug had it. This was my first adventure into the upper dorms. I am so glad I am in Kilpatrick and not in those dorms. I mean they have their charm, a community room and a tight knit feeling between those who are in your house, but it is a walk to the dorms and a very cold walk at that. I’ll try to post pictures of the other dorms so new people or prospective students can get a feel of what they are like.

Coming back form the upper dorms I almost took a tumble at least a few times. I’m glad I brought my big black coat and I have a sweatshirt and two other layers under it. One scarf is not enough when walking. I may move to two. Oh this Texas girl can’t handle the Vermont cold.

There was the usual reception “First Night Gathering at the Manor Lounge." I didn’t stay long, just long enough to talk to one of my favorite graduates and to pick his brain about that last semester process, our talk made me feel quite comfortable about that.

Best advice. Keep an annotated Bib all throughout the semesters. It makes that final semester much easier. I have been doing that. I'll post more advice later.

Back to the dorm and into pj’s poured a glass of wine and had some cheese snitched from the manor house and settling into “the process.” A new G1 stopped in and we chatted. My dorm is always open to those G1’s or others who need to chat about the process.

My biggest revelation so far, or not a revelation actually but more a confirmation—getting an MFA is necessary. We are all in that same spot. Very, very professional people who have worked in their field for years but can’t get a job teaching … or job is threatened by not having that stupid piece of paper.

Well more later it is off to lunch and then the next thing and the next. I’ll post pictures as soon as I can.

Pictures: gathering in the lounge for Meet and Greet
Help desk:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home