Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Monday, January 25, 2010

New student questions































If you have questions or just want to talk I'm available. Just e mail me privately at bridgette ( at) creativesculpture.com and give me your phone number and a good time to call when we can chat. There seems to be such a disconnect between the time that you receive the notice where you say, "I'm in" to the time that you actually get to the program. For me it is good to have a voice or a connection, and I'm extending myself as that connection- student to student. I'm also excited to hear about your own direction of study. They are all so vast at Goddard.

Some questions that came in follow- here are my thoughts on those questions.

Should I bring my laptop?
It is not necessary as there is both a computer lab, in the main building, and there are computers in the library. If you don't bring a computer be sure to bring a pin drive so you can take your files off of the computer and they won't be deleted. With all that said, there is something about having your own computer to work on. You will find people working in their rooms, in the lounges of each dorm, in the lounges of the main building, the library etc. YOu will have to write a study plan, ( G1's need two study plans) see previous posts and that can take some thought and time. I love working in my room, looking out the window at those walking on the campus. Plus my cell phone does not work at Goddard, most people have a difficult time getting a connection try by the stone wall outside of building 13 on the way to the Manor House. And so having a computer allows me to chat with my family through skype.

Is there wireless in the dorm?
Yes, there is wireless in the dorm. Actually throughout all of the campus. My room in Kilpatrick also had a connection for the network and I did bring the appropriate wire to connect to it, just in case.

Are the dorm rooms single or shared?
They are shared dorm rooms unless you request a single and unfortunately there is a $200. extra charge for a single room. Of course with that said, there may be a chance that you end up not having a roommate unless you specifically request one. I know some people have had the same roommate for many semesters. I myself like a single room, a place to decompress and be away from others. A place where I am guaranteed quiet for reading or writing.

Also I have tried to put some pictures up to give you a sense of the community space. The first picture is taken from the steps of Kilpatrick dorm and you can see how close it is to the main building ( past the person doing the cartwheel), probably why it is known as the quiet dorm. Then you have to walk past the main building which is number 13. This picture is kind of taken near the 14 looking up the steps. You can see building 18 on the right. The last picture is of a friend but I have put it here because there is a pathway that runs along the back side of Hollister, fisher Giles and you can see these dorm houses on the right of the picture. This may give you a sense of the space. I think this semester I'll take pictures of the dorms and put them up here for others to see. The dorms up the hill 19+ are further away, but tend to be the louder dorms, or that is what I get a feel for. Now with all of that said. If you are in a quiet dorm you can always find out where others are - say the music room or up at the upper dorms, there is a gathering first night in the manor room and socialize there then come back to your quiet dorm. I see many students do that as well as hiking in the woods. But I have no experience there as my first residency was so busy that I didn't have time to venture out on the trails. This is something I want to do and share next semester.



May I bring a guitar?

Oh yes, Please bring your guitar. I'm not sure how it goes during winter residency as this will be my first one. But during summer residency there are regular fires at night outside where people gather to sing and play. There is also a talent night ( closing session cabaret 7:30-9:30 sign up in advance) if you want to sing or do something with others. Plus you can always entertain in your dorm, if it is allowed in that dorm. During the winter I think the music room is opened for the evening sing alongs. ( see number 9 on the map) Our guitar player or one that brought it each night is graduating this year, so it is good to see that there are others to replace him.


What are the policies for alcohol in the dorms?
Some dorms are alchohol free dorms, but others are not. I don't know the official rule, or if there is one, check the student handbook, but I can tell you that some students do bring alcohol. You must check to see if your dorm is a quiet dorm. Kilpatrick is one of those.

Have dorm rooms been assigned yet?
Check with Mat at the help desk I think he will have the room assignments after the 26th. Most people find out when they arrive. My first semester it was hard. How do you know what kind of dorm you want without seeing them. as I said in a previous post Kilpatrick is in the main area, the others are up the hill are more laid back. At least that is my opinion. I had to ask to change rooms my first semester as my room was below the stairs and next to this tin roof. It was hot and the window was open and it rained. I felt like I was sleeping in a war zone. Though the next person who got the room, I am told, loved it. Others hate being by the bathroom. I like that aspect of my room, if I am lucky enough to get the same room. I have a fan on in my room and don't hear the traffic of the bathroom but appreciate it's proximity.

Each dorm has a set of rooms, bathrooms and of course a common area. I think most have a fridge of sorts as well. Mine had a coffee pot. I'm not sure who would get up each morning and make hot water, but boy was I excited! I love my tea in the morning in my own glass mug!


Hope this helps, Keep the questions coming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home