Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

I was up at 1:20 this morning and have not gone back to sleep.

The anxiousness in Houston is at such a height I feel like my insides are going to explode. I spent the evening breathing trying to get past it. " whatever is not mine- please leave."

At 5:00am my husband woke up and we went to the store to get water and can goods. The grocery store had just got an order in. By the time we left it was gone.

We swung by home depot at 5:45a.m. or so trying to get lumber. There was a waiting line and they said they would probably sell out in the first hour. A policeman stood in the front of the line.

We still have not found gas cans.

I heard that Houston is calling back all of their people. I guess I didn't realize that we sent so many things to Louisiana, ambulance security etc. I am glad they are coming home.

You can see the terror and frustration in peoples eyes. The confusion overtakes me so that when my husband asked if we should bUy a tarp I could not say a thing.

My good friend and adopted mom, Gloria, here in Houston called crying this morning. She has lived here all her life and said she can not do this one alone. She will be bunking with us. Her cat will probably be left at her house. But if she feels bad about leaving him maybe he can bunk in the studio.

As the hurricane comes inland it will go just past Katy, near my son's home. Either way katy and Houston will both be on the east side of the storm. Not a place to be.

We decided to turn the main gas line off just in case the tree goes, we will all be bunkering down in the middle of the house with the mattress nearby to pull over us should we need it.

Mike still wants to board up the windows and I keep thinking " we never did that before" but he said "this is not like before this is a cat 4 could be a cat 5. Not since 1900 has Galveston seen a cat 5

Even with two days to get ready there doesn't seem to be enough time to do everything.

My tasks for today

* Go to bank take out at least 400 cash, transfer as much as possible to personal account.

* coleman fuel for stove.

* gather gloves, hammer, nails, plastic tarps etc have them in one place

* clean garbage cans and fill them with water ( at least we can flush with this)

* Academy for coleman fuel

* foundry to pick up pattern of placement of newsboy ( the only real work I can do today)

* we found termites in the shed of the new studio and I tore out the wooden selves. I was going to replace them with these metal ones and bought the wrong piece. I want to get all of this stuff off of the floor so it looks like I'll be putting up shelves today.

Back up battery for computer
Charge cameras and anything else that needs charging.

* Clean out all drainage from backyard. Dig out trenches if necessary

* find important papers and put in plastic

* find clients photos of deceased loved ones and put in plastic.

Put computers in plastic bags.


I think that is it.

I'll keep in touch.
Still praying that if the tree falls, angels will bring it to the ground.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home