Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Monday, April 03, 2006

A year ago I began at Vermont College!

I can hardly believe that it has been a year since I started Vermont College. It will be good to know that I only have 6 months left and I can go on. What to do after graduation?

I would like to go on for my masters. I have vacillated back and forth MFA, MA MFA, MA? If I wanted to teach college art I would need the MFA but I can’t really say that is what I want. And if I had to focus just on art I think I would vomit. I love art, but that is what I do in my life. I think I want to spread my wings some more.

It is hard to make this decision. I mean I never really felt like I “needed” the degree for any thing. My motivation for going back was to somehow build these credentials for my writing and to have something to fall back on if for some reason, God forbid, I could not sculpt anymore.

When I think about the things that I want to write they are mostly in the mental health or creative venue, or about marketing for artists. I entered VCU thinking about a degree in art therapy. I would never want to be a therapist, but I do have a ton of ideas and things that deal with expression and creativity. I wanted to study creativity and write about it for a master, but should I push myself to do something else? I developed a program years ago to help individuals express their emotions through the arts. It was very successful, but it would be a full time deal if ever I did it again, and I am not sure that is what I want to do. I really just want to create and write, but then if you write you need experiences to base things on. I am babbling. What to do, what to do?

If someone asked me, “If you had an entirely new life to work out an entirely different career what would you do?” I think I know a couple of answers. I am thrilled with the mind and neuroscience. There are so many things to study there. I am already doing what I want in this lifetime, writing and sculpting.

I like helping others but to be perfectly honest it has to be on a limited basis. I am entirely too sensitive and burn out on people after long periods of time. I love doing workshops for that reason, and speaking engagements.

Why am I thinking about this now? Because I should probably fine-tune my undergraduate work to assist in the direction that I would like further study, and I only have 6 months to do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home