Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Saturday, September 23, 2006

The black book is off!

BLACK BOOK GUIDELINES?
According to my guidelines I am supposed to send my black book off to my teacher and my second reader 3-4 weeks prior to residency. Since this Thursday is 4 weeks, I guess I am on time.

I am so glad that is done. I highly recommend anyone doing a black book to get started early. I have worked on mine pretty much full time for about 3 weeks. I copied the Dick Hathaway blog (http://www.dickhathaway.blogspot.com) into my Black Book. It was a lot harder than I expected because on a Mac I could not just cut and paste the document. Luckily, I could get the copy that way, but I had to reformats everything and bring the photographs in. It took me about 12 hours to do all of that.

I first wrote my entire black book in Microsoft Word. I then transferred the entire document into Quark Xpress. Word has a horrible habit of doing something called "infinite pagination "when adding photographs. Putting the entire book into Quark Xpress meant updating my copy and learning to use this program that I have not touched in about 4 years. I am sure glad I did it. The blog gave me lots of practice in formatting!

For anyone interested the layout of a black book, according to the culminating study plan is
one blank page
title page
abstract ( one page)
table of contents
preface
body of document
works cited references
selected annotated bibliography
appendices

My black book contains 58 pages of writing including preface. Then the blog writing brings this up to 127
I also have a works cited page with a listing of over 67 cited works. Wow, no wonder I was going nuts!

My annotated bib and study bib had 40 entries. But I did have a 20 credit culminating study which meant I had to read 27 books. I also read a lot of journal articles.

I will also have a section for gallery but I can't finish that right now.

Now it is a matter of getting this back and doing corrections before I leave. Blythe suggested I bring extra paper just in case I need to change anything. Apparently all of the instructors look over the black book during residency. I think they do this at lunch, hopefully they are not eating spaghetti that day!

I have a lot of color in my book, so I hope there are not changes after arriving at school.

I spoke with Doris about possibly sending my gallery photographs later. The sculptures of Lucas and Jeanine may not be ready until I return. The school said they did not think that would be a problem. I assured them the black book was complete and could go as is. I want nothing holding up my graduation! The foundry e-mailed me yesterday and said they thought I could get everything on time. So all of this may not be a problem.


38 DAYS UNTIL GRADUATION!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home