Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Sunday, July 26, 2009

I keep trying to sneak away...

I keep saying I’m going to sneak away and do my studyplan, however something keeps getting in the way.

There was a little controversy about if there should be an art show or not, instead they had something called considered spaces. I’m not really sure what the difference is but the powers at be were dead said against having a room to show. I guess it was the confines of the room, it should be allowed to be displayed or walked upon or whatever. Though after installation I am not sure how it is different.

To be perfectly honest some of the things at residency make me feel a bit out of place. My art is commission art and I create through other people’s desire. I rarely create just to create, and I think that others here feel that somehow I am missing out by not doing so, that I am not allowing myself to have an experience. Though my own experience is one that is quite rewarding and always inquisitive. Now that I am writing about this I’m really not sure how to explain it. My work is explored through my clients. It is months and months of searching and exploring as I work with the person who commissions me to create the life-size bronze of the loved one and help them through their grief. I’m perfectly happy to put them up for others to see, and even talk about the work, the process my exploration to this point, and in that sharing further enlightenment happens. So that is what I have done. To make a long story short, considered spaces was experienced and the pieces were displayed. The show looks great and I can’t wait to post pictures. I promise I will get there. I have posted them to my facebook but not to the blog yet.

I tried desperately to work in the library on their computers however, the noises and movement distract me so. I’m locking myself in the room and not coming out until graduation ceremony. More later.

Everyone vibrates at a very high level here. It is exhausting and I find I must retreat to my cocoon. The same thing happened at Vermont College. By Monday I’m saying, “I just can’t go down and eat at the cafeteria one more time.” I have considered taking my lunch out. But then I sit down and I meet someone and I think, I’m glad I came in here today. Still, I need more down time, to be away from the vibration. I’m so glad I have a quiet alone space called my dorm room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home