Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Saturday, January 09, 2010

How to pick a graduate adviser

( this post copied from my professional blog)

How on earth does one decide which adviser at Goddard College will be a good fit for the following semester? My present faculty adviser was assigned to me. Because it was my first semester-Judy Hiramoto. I have enjoyed our interaction. I am pretty much a go-getter when it comes to education and learning. I probably do much more work than is necessary and I don’t need hand holding. In fact, this study is so deep with new research that I’m finding things each time I turn around. I had no semester break, the research continued.

I have floated through the program faculty and am at a loss. There are no “sculptors” in the faculty, that I can find. Is it really necessary for me to have a sculptor as an adviser. I don’t think so. (Plainfield, Vermont Residency).

I read Valerie Walker is coming onto the program. Though I am not a fiber artist I appreciate her interaction of her work with technology, plus she does a radio show, “exploring all aspects of digital culture & awareness from the perspective of women living it." My present podcast is not actually a part of my study, however, I am planning on expanding it to include interviews with those working with this technology. O.k. I just faced book Valerie. Maybe some pre-conversations would help.

Peter Hocking is another choice I ask myself why? Hmmm. Some of the things in his bio? “digital performance”, “ I love comic books.” I just think it is cool that someone who is asked to include their pedagogical statement puts that in it. “I am committed to the dignity and intrinsic value of each of us as learners.” This is also a good statement. He is from Goddard College MA and I like the Rhode Island school of design, though I am not sure what the “Director of the office of public engagement” actually does.

Brian Harnetty. Again I ask myself why? I am not a musician. I like that he is interested in, “creative communication between musicians, writers, visual artists, scientists, and so on—and the value of expressing this communication through new media” I ponder our connection.

My choice for Erica Eaton would be for no other reason than she facilitated a G1 meeting that I attended and I had a good feel about her. “I have often said that what I really do is translate, remind people of what they already know and empower them to use it and develop it further. I facilitate. I see my role as a “teacher” in a similar fashion. I am not there to “deposit” knowledge, but to co-create it. “ I like this statement. Of course I like that she has studied at the University of Buffalo. It is my home-town. I feel the same about Rick Benjamin, but he is on leave for this residency.

I guess my choice should really reflect on my study. It is more of the same from last year. Though transcripts are narrative at Goddard College I have asked for course equivalents as well. For any college that I am going to teach at will require that I have a certain amount of course credits in that discipline. ( see previous post)

Here is an idea of my study.

The changes this semester would be technical and journalism writing instead of memoir, as I am trying to document my research into 3D sculpting, scanning, printing and milling as it pertains to the traditional sculptor. I also plan on interviewing different artists and individuals working in these fields- A 3D fireside podcast so to speak. I’m also pitching another book to the publisher, must get the Mudbox book out first. Our deadline is February. The second book is an interview with artists that are using technology to create incredible and interesting art. I’m thrilled about the idea. Of course I’ll have to write about the technology as well.

And I’m thrilled about he lecture that I am giving at Goddard while I am at residency. I would like to present this through the semester to other art organizations and colleges here. This past semester has been heavy in research and documentation. It is difficult to stop as everything is changing so quickly. It has been amazing that no sooner do I find a missing like, something that is needed to “Bridge the gap between technology and the traditional studio” then the technology is created and posted. It is a fascinating journey.

First Semester Graduate Courses Studies at Goddard College

Studio Art and Technology
Variable topics course designed to explore concepts and processes in art-making that go beyond the normal curricular parameters of traditional studio disciplines.

History of Digital Technology in the Traditional Studio
In this course there is an Evaluation of the History of Digital art in the Traditional Studio and philosophical discussions comparing new technology with the “old” way. Evaluating the “Value” set upon the work and also the acceptance of technology and the process in fine art. An exploration of contemporary artists who have paved the way for the acceptances of this technology is also explored.

Traditional Sculpting/Digital Sculpting
Comparing the process of sculpting digitally and traditionally. A study and experiment with creating digital sculpture in the traditional sculpting style. Searching the psychological aspects and barriers of traditional artists who are beginning to use digital technology in the traditional studio.

Memoir Writing
Study of memoirs by contemporary authors to become more familiar with the many possibilities available to writers working in this form. Focus is on issues relevant to the writing of memoir, including craft and techniques, memory and truth-telling, and interior and exterior significance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home