Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Monday update

Up at 6:00 am thinking study plan. Scrounged a tea bag and a little sugar and was glad to find someone had made hot water in the coffee pot in the lounge. I hope it was intended to share.

Trying to narrow things down, yet be specific. Still tucked away in my room and even though it is just Monday the schedule ramps up again. The afternoon schedule is filled with things that end in REQUIRED FOR NEW STUDENTS

One scheduled item I have written “highly recommended” next to it. Even so I will skip it because my advisor has scheduled a separate group meeting where we all show our work. I don’t want to miss hearing what others have done. Then is an individual meeting with my advisor from 2-2:30. She said to come with a complete study plan. Remember G1’s have two study plans, one for the entire 2 ½ years another for the term. Last night in a meeting everyone said, write “does not apply “ when the overall study plan asks for practicum. I don’t know if I can get away with that, but I will for now. See if it applies. Still there is much to do. Because my only free time to work on it is during eating. It would be o.k. to hide away and not eat socially. In fact at residency I find that the further into the week I go the more I separate myself from the group. As I describe it everyone here vibrates at a very high level. Picture it every one shaking back and forth very quickly. That is what it feels like to me. It is contrary to what theplace is supposed to be- Vermont relax, go with the flow etc. But “the process seems” to initiate that vibration in each person, thus the reason why I must get away. Even at meetings I would prefer to sit outside of the group. Funny now that I think about it, I have been called on it by a couple of leaders of the group. It looks like I’m not engaged, and in a way I am not. But it is more than that it is moving to ground myself. It is just what I need. And that is what you should do for yourself when in residency. All that said, there is a time when I say. I just cannot go down to the cafeteria, as I think I mentioned. But I do and I have a wonderful conversation.

So I must wake early to see what I can get done on this plan. Enough journaling. The tea and study plan are calling.


The graduates have all left and it is the day to get down to business. I did a very rough draft of both the overall study plan and the plan for this semester. Handed it into my adviser and am looking forward to getting it back and finalizing it. Groups and individuals are meeting with their advisers all over the campus. They are focused. Yes, the atmosphere changes on Monday.


The afternoon went well, but by dinner time I had such a hankering to get off of campus. I’d love to find someone with a car that would like to sneak off for dinner. I’d definitely go to Sardducees in Montpelier. The Required afternoon workshops were o.k. but exhausting. I made it through dinner with my eyes glazed over.

With all my work done in the evening it was a great realize. I skipped anything after dinner and came back to my room. I suppose I could have found a “group” to hang with or even wander around campus and chill, but instead I opted for my pj’s, a bag of granola, a bottle of water and to do nothing. Well I searched the internet for a movie to watch and found a Japanese cartoon called “spirited away.” It was actually quite good. I played it on my lap top as I snuggled in bed in my dorm room. Not very social, but it was good for me. I was in bed asleep by 10 or 10:30.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home