Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Winding down and gearing up

As this semester at Goddard College MFAIA ends, the calendar shows there is a little over a month until the new semester begins. Here is an update.

FINANCIAL AID ETC.
I did fill out my FAFSA in time my paper work was sent to Goddard. They send an award letter saying how much tuition is for the next two semesters and how much I am awarded. Most all of my tuition is covered by subsidized and unsubsidized loans, matter of fact there is more than enough, however, I know better than to take out unsubsidized loans that I don't really need. They begin to collect interest now. So I sent my paperwork back to the school saying to only borrow exact fees for these two semesters. I wonder how many other people in my class are going into debt to get this degree?

A new slip comes with the financial aid papers and tells me "due to recent legislation, all student loans will now be processed through the department of educations' Direct Loan program." I need to complete a promissory Note and Entrance counseling www.studentLoans.gov ( FYI safari and Chrome browsers do not work at this page. Each of these takes about 30 minutes and you will need you pin that you got to fill out your FAFSA online. Save this pin and know this pin you will need it quite a bit through the entire college Financial Aid experience. While doing these They did offer some helpful pages for example this page has a budget calculator . If you want to see just how much you will be paying a month check this out. To find out about all your loans the National Student Loan Data System. (NSLDS)

So all of this is done and I'm sending the financial aid letter back.

I would highly recommend that you have as much of your financial information taken care of before going to residency. That makes the registration day much easier, especially new students as you have so much extra stuff to do, getting ID etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home