Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Hey you guys!

Calling all new students. NO, really, seriously I wish I could call all new students at Goddard Master of Fine Arts in Interdisciplinary Artos program. However, that is against the rules. So I wait patiently in the next two weeks. Hoping that new students ready their e mails from Jackie and hoping that there is contact information about our Unofficial Welcoming committee.

I must say though. I think a real letter sent out to students is a better idea. I know the only thing I got in the mail after hearing I was in was a bill. Not phone call, no letter, nothing that said, "Welcome to Goddard."

So I fidn myself possessed with the idea of making sure new people are comfortable. How appalled I was when i found a new Goddard student never got anything, though she wish she had. She wish she had known about how to get to Goddard from the airport, how not to spend all that money. How did she slip through the cracks.

In my undergraduate residency at Vermont College which is exactly like the program at Goddard, in fact they purchased the program from Goddard years back, anyway. Vermont College sent out a packet prior to coming. It had a map, and flyers about performances and art shows, it made the experience feel more real. I think I read that packet 50 times. Wish something like that was done for the new people at Goddard. It also had... The roster. Yes, the Roster of students scheduled to come to residency was sent out before hand. What good is a roster? Plenty.

First, if you have roster you can see who lives in my area, my state?
You can get a feel for the student body.
and if you were like me. You could notice the new students and call each an every one of them. That is what i did. Some cared. some did not, but I called! Sorry you guys, sorry I could not call you. I sit and wait patiently. Wait to see if the information for you to contact me has gotten into your hands. And plan for the small welcoming committee session where we can meet and greet. But if you have happened upon this blog because you are searching for meaning to your decision and wondering if you are alone please contact me. Another new student did. Within no time not only was I e mailing her, but I was able to put them in contact with many of our fellow students at Goddard through Facebook. So say something here, make some noise, or find me on facebook. I'll make sure you are friended as well. There are a lot of G2's who were in your position just last semester that are more than willing to share their experiences and help you along the way. As well as others on our Unofficial welcoming committee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home