Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Slowing down a bit

I feel things slowing down a bit, I am not sure if that is everything around me or just me. I finally had a meeting with Doris about what will transfer, what will not, how to work things into my schedule and what I need to focus on. Now that my meeting with Doris is done I feel I can breath.

I attended a presentation by faculty Laura Knott Twine. Her specialty is really more business, but it was a good opportunity to get to know her. Her talk was entitled “Time/Life Balance: an Issue Facing the workers and Management in working America.” Funny, I arrived a few minutes late and had to leave early. Don’t know what that says about me in the topic. But once again things were scheduled over one another and if I wanted to hear her I had to do the best I could.

I also attended another faculty presentation by Dick Hathaway. His talk was about “Class in America: Myth and realities (A guide to the American Class and Status System)” He is a funny man and as in all of these lectures I have a bunch of books and quotes that intrigued me. It was my first exposure to Paul Fussel’ interpretation of the X class- we creative ones. I’ll have to look up more about that.

Lunch is over and I am off to my II study exploration meeting with this time Bernice Mennis (I spoke of her before). It is a large group of potential students 9 are going to that. I actually took my name off of the list thinking there would not be enough time for all of us to talk but then I put it back on, I am glad I did because everyone on the list did not come and it was a small group.


I”LL WRITE MORE LATER

After dinner
There is another faculty presentation at 6:45 I am just not sure I want to go to it. It is not someone that I had wanted to work with or signed up to meet, so I just may skip it. I hope I won’t be sorry. The topic is ‘Psychology of Fear /Politics of Fear. Of course I may change my mind. I skipped the returning group meeting presentation this morning and instead I walked myself downtown. It is quite a long walk down the hill, which is not so bad, but going up hill is another story. I wanted to get some post cards, and some souvenirs, and I had entertained the idea of getting other things including a bottle of wine to share with the girls on my end of the wing. I was not sure I could schlep that up the hill (mountain) but I wanted to try. Oh yes, don’t forget the corkscrew.

I also wanted to go up the mountain about the same distance and visit the place that makes maple syrup. I just wrote an article about how I would go to Vermont and visit the maple syrup manufacturer every Easter. Dad would let us go to the gift shop and get anything that we wanted. I always got the same thing a small box of maple sugar candy, 4 little people, a mom, dad, and two children. I loved them so much I could not bear to eat them!

I met another classmate Helen. She was a little teary eyed because She just buried her mother a week ago today. She did not want to miss the residency and she knew her mom would not want her to miss it either. When I told her about the direction that my study was going it of course, focused on the death of loved ones. When describing what I go through with sculpting posthumous portraiture and trying to capture the spirit of an individual I have never known I posed the question. “Is something happening? Is there some sort of connection? Does the sprit of the deceased try to connect with me and help with this? It will be something I will be forced to look at in my study. And along with that I will have to evaluate how that falls into my faith and Christianity. So Helen told me this great story about how her last study had something to do with Native American Indian’s and how she gave her mom a feather before she died. Then when Helen was getting ready to come she found a feather on the top of her suitcase. She thought “o.k. Maybe the cat killed a bird, and then dropped it there, “ but my class mates and I conferred that it didn’t matter who the messenger was, the feather was important to her and so that is all that mattered.

After dinner I tried the long walk up to the maple syrup manufacturer. It was a very difficult walk up the mountain and I could tell I wouldn’t have time when I got 3/4 ‘s the way there so I turned back. Upon arriving back at the dorm right in front of Dewey it happened. I almost walked by it. There on the ground right in front of me was a feather!

At first I thought hmm there is a feather. And then it struck me and I said Oh my word there is a feather. I even turned around and picked it up. Later I found Helen and I told her tat maybe they were communicating with me, and here is a message from mom.

It was so strange. Maybe it is just a fluke. I am having inner turmoil thinking about this study and have put several books on my bibliography about God and parapsychology etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home