Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Friday, April 01, 2005

Credit for Life Experience?

This is something I have been waiting a long time for. I have been told to sign up for a meeting to discuss this upon my arrival at Vermont College on the 14th. It is the first thing on my agenda. As I understand it you are allowed up to 30 credits for life experience. I want all 30. I need all 30. I think I have enough to receive all 30. This number seems to be pretty consistent throughout most colleges that I have talked with.

I am very interested in knowing more about this process of receiving credit for life experience, not just from Vermont College but from other colleges as well. If you are reading this blog and have gone through the process please let me know. I can see a future article about this.

My husband just received an e-mail from our local community college and they are going to give him 21 credits for his life experience. His story is interesting. He has been teaching computer graphics at Kingwood College as an adjunct. To keep his position they required that he at least obtain his associates. Mike is quite a bit like myself in that we are highly motivated and have accomplished a lot through our lives. He is a medical illustrator and writer. If you would like to see some of his work you can at his web site www.delaflor.com

It was actually Mike’s English teacher who was astounded at his abilities and put him in meeting with the head of the department and leaving some information about himself, including his 2 books that he has written it then took about 3 months for them to get back to him. The college has ulterior motives in having him get his degree because they too want him to teach there as well. Touch with others at the school to accelerate the process of getting his degree. After

Of course the credits are not free, it will cost him a couple hundred dollars to obtain these credits and as I understand the process they will determine together how these credits relate to the degree program that he is in, and he will then know what is left to take. But a few hundred dollars and a couple of hours worth of work is better than a semester and a half and thousands of dollars.

I believe that each college treats prior learning assessment (PLA) differently. As soon as I can I will do some more digging on the subject and let you know what I find out. And in two weeks I’ll know more about my own PLA.

What a way for your life work to be honored.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home