Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Friday, April 15, 2005

VERY LONG DAY!

BEFORE BREAKFAST
Received my schedule last night and I can’t help but wonder how they expect me to keep the schedule? There looks like there is not even a bathroom break unless of course you are counting the 1 for lunch and the hour for dinner. Some things are even double booked. I can see that for the new person it could be quite stressful. Probably upon my return I won’t feel as compelled to attend every lecture.

We did come in for dinner last night. The culinary institute does the meals here. It was salmon and rice, salad, and of course there are lots of sweets to pick from.

I really wish I would have confiscated a coffee cup last night so that I could make tea in the A. M. that is my goal today confiscate coffee cup.

Catherine and I, along with another women I met who has yet another semester to go, all walked down town. They said a few hills. Well this is no hill country in Texas. While flying in Vermont you could see the mountains to the west. I believe they were the Appalachians. And another set of mountains to the north. The green something mountains. There was snow on the peaks and in some valleys and a little snow on the ground but there is not a lot. So walking down to the town was not bad, walking up was a walk. I am wondering how I can do that carrying distilled water? I’d really like to pick up that and a few other things in town.

I slept with the window open last night. The heat is so high in the building. I put wet towels on the radiator; it had to be paper towels because I don’t even have enough towels and no washcloth for myself, put that on my list for next semester.

I did not sleep well last night, maybe it was the excitement, or the new room, or the uncomfortable bed. Or the thought that I did not set the clock correctly and I would miss out on breakfast. I hope I do better this evening. Well it is 7:30 and time to get that breakfast and then hit the ground running.

I’ll check back later.

Came back to the room to drop off the checkbook and the coffee cup. YIPPEEE I can have my tea first thing. I feel kind of foggy, I think it might be a combination of lack of sleep and allergies. Catherine was feeling icky as well. She said these dorms always bother her. I plan on taking tons of vitamin c. But I will most likely have to go to town and get more. I wish I had brought my entire bottle.

Catherine and Judy told me the best times to try and get some time to go to town or for myself. Apparently we have a lot of time wed morning. I’ll have to check the schedules. That is when the faculty talks about us students.

This morning we had orientation that was for the new students. It was a lot of information about the program and some about the history of the school. The idea of the 20-40-20 seems a bit overwhelming. It stands for 20 hours a week, 40 pages of writing a semester and 20 books to read.

After a quick lunch we went to another workshop that was very good! The director of academic support Anne Connor presented it. Anne had a lot of great things to share on learning styles and tricks to get through the program. I was surprised with her enthusiasm for helping the students. I thought about my friend Sunny, and how this woman could really support her in her learning styles and her ADD. She made me think that anyone could do this program. What a wonderful thing to have someone hold your hand and walk you through, if you are having difficulty of course.

After this meeting there was yet another lecture about using the library, and then it was back to the dorm room. I got to rest for all of 25 minutes. It was a needed rest as my allergies are horrible in these old buildings.

I get so distracted while at these lectures. It is so strange to look out of the tall old windows in the buildings and see mountains. I LOVE IT!

After dinner- another interesting combination from the culinary institute, we went to what is called the Round Robin. This is really the only time all of the learners, no matter where they are in the program get together. We all stood up and said our names and where we are from, one at a time of course. There were many from the Vermont area, but then there were some from California, Alaska, Oregon and one man stood up I thought he said he was from Belize. We just said our names and where we were from, except those who were culminating. They got to say “ I am culminating” and everyone hooted and hollered. I think there are 11 graduating. It is a different type of ceremony, would you expect anything less from Vermont College? I hear that those graduating can have someone of their choice, family member hand them their diploma. So cool! Ii could cry thinking of it.

After the introductions then several faculty got up and told about who they were and how they work with the students.

This is very important because I have to decide what I want to study and who will be my mentor for the next 6 months. It is fascinating to hear about the different individual studies. One woman did hers on death and dying, another on her family and the civil war, another on fiction writing. Each learner has to decide this. IT is the talk of the dinning hall.

The only thing left to do this evening is to drop off my artwork for the art show. Then I can go to bed, or come back to the computer lab and finish my article. I can’t seem to get dialup to work on my computer so I am glad that I have the lab and this little doohickey that my husband bought me that transfers info from computer to computer.

I want to walk. Everything is so beautiful I would really like to walk before going to bed. Maybe I can sleep this evening.

Well, enough of this I’ll post more tomorrow.

Oh yes…. I almost forgot

The marketing director here said she took a few of my quotes from my article and is using them in an ad. I am flattered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home