Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Friday, January 20, 2006

Studying for the humanities CLEP

I took my first practice test in humanities of the 150 I missed 85. I only need to get 1/2 correct, I think?

According to the American Council on Education (ACE) I need to score a 50 which means that I need to get ?????? I can't figure it out. I have located the scoring on college board.com and am not really sure what a 50 is.

I am using the CLEP general exams by Research and Education Association. After taking the test I looked up all the answers and began to read cliff notes as well as just searching the Internet for things. I even listened to some of the music and found that I love Percy Grainger and Debussy (http://musical-impressions.net/midi.html in case you want to listen to Debussy). Actually I really am enjoying the study.

I seem to do o.k. in the art and poetry as well as some of the music, but the music theory, beyond just basics, is a bit much for me. I have had to really learn philosophy and vowed I would right a fun book on philosophy with cute illustrations. I also have to brush up on the literature.

I am trying to study at least one hour a day but am averaging about 1 and ½ hours a day.

I took the second test in humanities and this time missed only 71 out of 150. So I am getting closer.

By the time I take the test on February 10 I hope to have 21 hours of studying in. Today I wrote the check for the test, it needs to be there by Wednesday. I got nervous just writing the check.

I breath heavily when I am thinking about the test and my husband says, “no problem you can do it.” I am glad for his support it means the world to me. I just walk around saying “I think I can, I think I can.” Then I repeat some of the things I need to know. Beowulf is… The story of Hamlet is…. The last of the Mohicans was written by about…. Utilitarianism is….a ghost note is…etc. etc. etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home