Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Did you miss applying and want to get ahead?

If you want to get ahead in your education but have not enrolled, I strongly encourage you to look at taking CLEP tests. If you read my blog you will see that I have done this and I have a classmate that took several CLEP tests recently. My husband took a Spanish CLEP and received 12 credits. Easiest credit he ever received. I think Vermont College allows you to bring in up to 30 credits in CLEP. Do check with Doris or administration to be sure. To find out where to take a CLEP in your area go to http://www.CollegeBoard.com
FYI the phone number is 1800-257-9558.

On many of the test you only have to make a 50 to get the credit. To see recommended scores follow this link
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/scr_cgs.html

There are plenty of ways to study. I recommend you read my blog on my CLEPS. I have added links to resources.

I wondered what students with disabilities would do about testing? What if you were dyslexic or ADD and had a hard time with testing? I called the college board and found out that they do have guidelines for this. Go to the college board web site, click on clep tests, then on registration, then on information for candidates. Look on page three for accommodations for students with disabilities. They said much depends on each testing center, so I would call the testing centers in your area and ask them what their procedures are. I did this, and requested to be put in a room by myself so that I could talk out loud while taking the Analyzing and Interpreting Literature test. This really worked! Another facility sat me in a corner away from everyone and gave me headphones so that I would not have outside distractions.

This is a great way to get ahead if you are thinking of going to Vermont College, in fact most colleges. Just be sure your college will take CLEP tests.

Here is a check list of some things to do
1. Go to College board web site and find local testing centers in your area. You want open ones that let outsiders test.

2. Call them and get information like testing dates and other accommodations that you might need. Don't forget to ask them about the price. I believe most tests are under $100.00

3. Pick a test that you would like to study for and take. ( be sure you need this for your degree, for example don't take English if you are transferring in an English class) Set a goal and begin to study for that test.


Good Luck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home