Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Welcome New VCU students!!!!!!!!

About 2-3 weeks before school begins I anxiously await a large envelope from Vermont College that comes in the mail. I have learned that everything in the envelope is pretty much the same from semester to semester. There is, however, the roster for the up and coming semester. I pull that out and begin to call every new person on the list. Then I e-mail them. WHY? Because I felt so alone after registering my first semester. I wanted someone to talk to. I also know of one person who got to the dorms and felt so strange, she turned around and left. She did eventually come backk and graduated.


Here is the e mail that I sent the newcomers.

WELCOME
This is an unofficial welcome to Vermont College. My name is Bridgette Mongeon and I will be one of your fellow students at Vermont College, at least for part of the week. I graduate on Wednesday.

Welcome dinner?
Just a note to welcome you to the group and see if there are any questions. I also want to invite you to come to Sadducees on Thursday evening. The food is great and prices start at about $6 or $8. We will probably leave around 5 or 6 to walk down there. If you can’t walk I am sure someone will have a car. Please let me know if you will be attending. I may need to make reservations for a big group. Sadducees is a tradition, and a great way for the newcomers and the old timers to get together and meet.

How to get to school?
If you fly in and want to share a cab call Doris Pierce, in the office. She often hooks people up to share rides. Her email is Doris.Pierce@tui.edu I will need to share a cab and I come in about 1:10 on Thursday so if you are coming in about that time e-mail me. The cost is about $70. So it is nice to spilt the cost. I have used Gabes taxi. 802-238-2723 http://www.gabestaxi.com/ and find they are wonderful. There are also cabs waiting outside of the airport.

Please note that the school information says you can take the bus, but from town to school is all uphill and very difficult to maneuver with suitcases. I would not recommend it.

What to do first?
Your information packet that you may or may not have received already says to use the phone inside the dorm to call security when you arrive at Dewey Hall. Security will give you your room key. The dorms feel lonely and abandoned at that time of the semester, but they will soon be bustling with excitement. When you get into the dorms or at least by Friday there will be white envelopes that will have your schedule and a roster. Feel free to look up my room number on the roster and put a post it on my door to say hi, or to ask questions. Typically they give me the same room and I am hoping I get it this time. It is on the first floor and down the hall from the office where you will be getting your key on the left hand side of the hall, about 3rd or 4th door from the window. I’ll put my name on the door.

(FYI, your white envelopes will also have a list of the teachers and their bio’s it is a great thing to read through. Your first exposure to them.)

You will love this experience. It is a great way to learn. The schedule is tight so please be prepared. I would suggest not rushing in on Friday, because once you start your schedule it does not stop until you leave. If you take vitamins, boost yourself up.
If ever you feel overwhelmed or confused, please feel free to find me and talk, at least until Wednesday. After graduation I will be leaving campus, but there will designate student advisor and they will let you know who they are at Round Robin on Friday evening. I’m not sure that is what they call them, but they are always there for the students, though I don't think the school does a great job of communicating exactly what they do. Round Robin is the only time we are all together as a student body, unless this changes, which we had hoped it would. It is also where you will first get to meet the instructors. One student referred to it as Harry Potters hat sorting. LOL

An Invite
I also want to invite you to my presentations.
I have a culminating presentation that will be on your schedule. I would love for you to come.

I will also be doing a separate presentation with the TW Woods Gallery downstairs in College Hall. It is scheduled for Monday at 7:00 p.m. They are two different presentations.

I have a blog about my experience at Vermont College you can find it at http://www.perpetuallearner.blogspot.com/

I began it in April of 2005 so if you want to see what to experience, then read forward from that date. Going back to the posts I found this one. I remember how lonely I felt not having anyone to talk to about the experience that I was about to go on. That is why I have made myself the unofficial welcome person, and started the blog. Here is the post.
Monday, April 04, 2005
Is there someone to talk to?

I wish Vermont College would give you some sort of way to talk with other students before arriving. A forum, or e-mail…. Something. I suppose I want to be inspired, ask question, and find things out.

When you begin to read the blog and see last semesters entry - Monday April 16th 2006 note the post about the first day. See the clock in the background in the picture of us waiting upstairs in the lobby? It says 10 minutes after midnight. I felt compelled to wait up for the last of the newcomers to arrive. I will be checking all of you off of my list on Thursday.

Now for some things to bring.
Someplace there is a list, I think they send it to you in your packet. I might have even added a list to my blog, if not I should. Here are a few things to note.
* They give you sheets but they are stiff
* You receive two towels, if you like more than that bring them with you.
* You have one blanket, but you can control your own heat in your room.
* There is no guarantee that there will be hangers in your closet, bring some.
* There is washer and dryer, but it takes quarters (you can get change in the library, if you remember) and you might want to bring a little detergent
* Bring a flash drive to download your documents
The dorms are supposed to be wireless, though I had a difficulty getting connected and had to work out in the hall. There is a computer lab and the library. Computer lab is open late and can be opened by security, but there is something about coming back to your room and kicking back and working in you pj’s.
I dress in layers because I find the heat indoors to be stifling. Everything is casual, unless you want to dress up for graduation.
The food downstairs is pretty good. Though the cafeteria hours are exact, and meetings often run late. I find keeping snacks in my room helpful. Ah, I can’t wait to get some of the Vermont Cheese!
there is a refrigerator and microwave on each floor
no glass cups are to be brought up from the cafeteria so if you like to have a cup of coffee or tea while you dress in the morning, best bring a cup to put it in. One friend brought a small pot with her.
bring flip flops to protect your feet while in the shower.
I share a humidifier with a friend because I find the heated air too dry, but we may be extreme.

If I think of anything more I’ll let you know.


Academics
The only required book I have ever seen is Hackers Writers reference. Your professors will let you know. Any book that has information on citations is helpful.
I often suggest for people to bring a list of books that you have been wanting to read or that have been on your shelf that you never have read. You will have to read 20 books each semester and will be required to put together a bibliography before Wednesday. Your books usually go with your study, but some people know what they want to study and it can’t hurt to have a list of books. While at school be sure to ask other students who have studied what you might want to study for a copy of their bibliography or if they can recommend a book. Your professors and others in the exploratory meetings may also recommend some. Keep notes!

I have lots of other suggestions on the blog if you read through it. Introduce yourself to Larraby at the library, she is really great and very helpful, ask her about Google Scholar! Also, when you get home, this website is great to get your citations correct http://citationmachine.net/.

Well I think I have given you enough information, but I am sure there is something that I am forgetting and if you are like me and just want to hear a human voice to know that all of this is real. If so give me a call.

It is a great experience, see you on Thursday!

Bridgette my phone number can be found on my website http://www.creativesculpture.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home