Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Done? Practicum, and Evaluations.

We all wait patiently for our adviser evaluations. I guess each instructor does it a bit differently. Last semester my G1 instructor let me look at it before she posted it. I liked that. I felt I could add things that she may have forgotten. This semester that did not happen. If I didn't have the traditional transcripts as well as the narrative, I might be a bit concerned.

At the end of the evaluation my previous adviser suggested I continue with my original plan of practicum. And so I move away from a peer group study to this practicum of creating art. I know that sounds a bit strange but a practicum is supposed to be something that stretches you. I don't write or create art unless it is for $. I move from commission to commission and taking time out to just write or create art for the purpose of creating is very very difficult for me. And so that is my practicum. I have to write a practicum proposal according to the guidelines. I'm trying to work that out now. I think I have the title "Exploration and Introspection Without Dictation." There is a part of me that is a bit concerned about the practicum. I have questions that I ask myself. Do I want to create stuff? is this a waste of time? Shouldn't I be working toward making money instead of just making art? I know to designate so many hours to create without a purpose is fun for some, I'm having a little bit of angst over it. I'll let you know how that goes.

I have so many questions about this practicum. Yes, there is a meeting that you can go to at residency about the practicum. I went last year, when i was a G1. It was helpful, but now I have more questions.

One person said her adviser told her that her packets were too similar to her practicum? Do they have to be different? I'm not sure how that will work with my practicum, because it is ongoing through the semester and not one "community event." Everyone's practicum is different, as the guidelines state. So I need a little guidance before going into residency.

1 Comments:

  • I wish that this is your best Practicum yet! Enjoy whatever it is.

    By Blogger Sunny, at 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home