Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Monday, January 03, 2011

Why is it called the "unofficial" welcoming committee? What does it entail? Can I help?


WHY IS IT CALLED UNOFFICIAL
Some would say it is called "Unofficial" because it is Goddard. O.k. I'll go with that!

WHAT DOES IT ENTAIL?
Not much really here is what we do.
  • Make ourselves available to new students
  • Make the Goddard transition easier.
  • Help others to "trust the process?"

HOW DO WE DO THAT?

BEFORE RESIDENCY- I receive few contacts before residency, but I take care of them. I wish more new students found this blog and could feel more at ease about coming. I do contact Jackie our administrator and she passes my name and contact information to those needing it in a letter before residency. I'm also encouraging new contacts to friend me on Facebook. If you find you are on the committee and I suggest a friend, that is probably the reason why.

FIRST DAY AT RESIDENCY-Thursday
FIRST GATHERING- We meet in the area between the help desk and cafeteria between 3 and 5. All students are welcome to come. Snacks and drinks are provided, though I do need the help of one welcoming committee member to pick these up. Either someone in a car or someone from the area is needed. You will be reimbursed.

Chatting and eating in this common area until dinner. Answering questions and helping students find their dorms and get settled in.


DINNER FIRST NIGHT
I try to get all of the new G1's at the 4 large tables in the center of the cafeteria. It is helpful to have a couple of committee volunteers at each talbe to answer questions. I ask all Volunteers to keep their eye out for someone who looks new. ( Note the deer in the headlights look.) Invite them to a gathering.

After dinner there is a meeting int he Cottage for all G1's A couple more volunteers to appear at this with me is welcomed. Believe it or not, there are some new G1's that we will have not met up to this point. At this meeting I'll hand out the flyers with our photographs on them.

RESIDENCY
The rest of residency we just try to make ourselves available for helping the new G1's get through the process that they are supposed to be trusting.

It is as simple as that. By day two or three the G1's bond and have their own support group but may need some help when it comes to writing study plans or the infamous "degree criteria."

HOW TO SIGN UP?
Drop me a line, send a photograph and some information also your dorm if you know it. You can see a sample of what is done and what type of information is need at this post. Please let us know if we can publish your information on the blog or if you just want it used in the flyer at residency.

IF YOU WERE ON THE COMMITTEE LAST YEAR AND WOULD LIKE TO BE ON IT AGAIN Please let me know. Joining the committee is not a life time commitment, I will only assume you are on it if you contact me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home