Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Monday, April 24, 2006

Monday

MONDAY- the beginning of the week and 7 days to go until residency is over.
Sometimes you can’t make all of the presentations that are going on at one time I wish I could. As tired as I am I always get something out of each one. I had to miss an instructors presentation this morning but rest that I received instead was imperative to my health. I have to remember that I ended up in the hospital last residency and I don’t want that to happen again.

Blythe- the advisor that I hope to have spoke on “The Compassionate Body” It was very good though my right cheek was not compassionate at all. I had fallen down some steps before service on Sunday and find myself balancing on my left butt cheek through the meetings.

There were more presentations at our returning group meeting today. Though I have been with this group since October it feels strange to know that in a few days I will have an entirely new group. The questions at breakfast, lunch and dinner are, “Who do you want to study with, and what is your study.” Many people are undecided and you would be surprised how many people have changed their study a couple of times before finalizing them. We all need to finalize our study by Wednesday morning.

CULMINATING PRESENTATIONS
Two culminators Andrea and Jay presented this evening, another culminator Nabil presented but I could not make his. The schedule is so tight it is difficult to go to everything, and it is harder when you have come to know and love these people and they are slotted for the same time.
Andrea’s demonstration was on “Literature and Photography for Social Change” I loved listening to her reading and was surprised that she had not really written until she came to Vermont College Union Institute. INCREDIBLE!

Jay’s presentation “Reflections on Coming of Age.” Was also awesome. The light turned down low we all sat mesmerized by the words that he wrote. I don’t know if I would be as brave to reveal such personal things about myself. Writers do open themselves up for viewing. When I think of how vulnerable it makes one feel I think it must be nice to be a technical writer and not be so exposed, but then I don’t think I could have passion for that type of writing.

I sketched Jay as he sat there the lighting was just right, and I had such a good time watching him, sketching and feeling his words. I gave it to him and he said he loved it. I loved making him happy with my art!

THE MYSTERIOUS NOTE
On Monday night there was a mysterious note on the door that stated we all had to be in a meeting in the morning in Nobel Hall. Students began to panic. This meeting was in place of the meeting scheduled for my group that was going to graduate on November 1st? What had happened, we had thought of all sorts of things, our minds went wild.

You must not ask me how, but I did “find” the pertinent information that said this beautiful campus would be sold to the University of Vermont. My resources cannot be revealed.
We were all wondering what would happen to our wonderful residency program to Vermont College? As I understand it the name and campus will be sold to University of Vermont along with the MFA program. The program will continue down in Brattleboro Vermont campus. There were about 10 of us who stayed up until 2:00 a.m. venting about the change and laughing.

I think we needed it. This is not the first change for this program it has gone from Goddard, to Norwich to Vermont College and Union Institute. We are all hoping and believing that the program is secure. I still would encourage all new students to come to this program. If you are looking for an incredible experience that is unlike any other academic experience it can be found here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home