Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Monday, October 16, 2006

My nightmares- Hints for Future culminators

Last night I had a nightmare that I was trying to give a presentation and the chord was missing to the projector, or it did not go with my Mac setup. Perhaps it seeped into my subconscious and caused this nightmare/dream. I want to be sure the chord is long enough to reach from my computer to the projector so that I can stand in front of the room and see my screen, and the audience can see me. Calling the school tech department 802-828-8695, I spoke with Leandro. I have learned that the chord that they have is 6' not nearly long enough. I hope to purchase a 20' chord. By the way I also was told that Doris picks up the projectors and has them for the culminators. I’ll go to the computer lab and try this out before hand.

Contrary to my mother’s onions of me, I am a planner. I need to have everything worked out before hand. I have seen culminators put together their culminating presentation while at residency. That is just not me. Of course I have done quite a bit of public speaking. I feel comfortable with it. I just want to have my agenda together in advance. I think I like to sleep on it and mull it over. For those of you who are wondering about the details of a culminating presentation and some hints.

When you register for that last semester, for me it was about 3 weeks ago, Doris sends you a sheet and asks you to describe your presentation. This will be printed on the schedule that everyone receives when they arrive. You are also to pick some times that you would like to present and she asks is there is anyone that you don't want to be opposite when presenting? You will understand this question when you are at residency and your two favorite people or presentations are in opposite rooms at the same time!

I picked Saturday afternoon, just after the gallery opening. I don't know if I got that time slot, but I thought it would be appropriate to do it then—being it is an art presentation. I also will be doing it in the room next to the gallery. That way people don't have to leave the gallery and run across campus if they want to see the presentation. It may be a distraction as people have to walk through to get to the gallery, but that is fine with me.

HINT! I have seen numerous people scramble for projectors etc at the last minute. I did request the projector and screen and asked to be put in a spot where I could have everything up before hand, another one of those planning things. Many culminating speeches are booked right after something else in the same room. I like to spend time getting comfortable in the room that I will be speaking, if at all possible. Another reason to pick the Noble reading room, rarely does anyone use this room.

I do want to be sure all of the chords work, and that the presentation comes up on the screen before I begin my presentation. HINT! Anyone needing technical support will have to get it from either the tech guys at school, or most likely from other tech savvy students. Ignatius actually auctioned himself off last semester as tech guy for presenters. We will auction just about anything off at an auction! If Ignatius is at school he may be a good person to ask to help you, should you need it.

I’m ordering my chord now; maybe this will get out of my subconscious mind and leave my dreams to something else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home