Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Monday, April 24, 2006

Wednesday-graduation

WEDNESDAY
Everything is a buzz today. We handed in our study plans and that include our desires for the top three advisors. The faculty duke it out over lunch and post the list at 12:00. Everyone eagerly awaits the post to see who we will be grouped with for the next 6 months.

The cluminators have that culminating smile on their faces. There are more strange faces in the cafeteria, family of culminators being exposed to the Culinary Institute experience.

We get to go into our new study groups. I was so happy to have received Blythe. There are three cluminators in our group. I think there are eight culminators in all. I still can’t believe I am culminating in November , it feels so surreal.

The Dean had given me a video tape of Dick Hathaway. He thought it might help with my sculpture. I had it copied and was able to show some of the culminators. Those who viewed it really appreciated it. I think I’ll show it at Ragu on Thursday.

Graduation was incredible as usual, and another time to remember Charlotte Hastings. I was crying my eyes out and no tissues. I looked around and so were the others that had been in my group with Charlotte. I love and miss her so much.


I am so proud of the cluminators.



Afterwards I vowed I would work on my study plan that was due in the morning. I put some sweat pants on. Brenda came down with her computer and was dressed in the same getup. We looked so cute.
With bottle of wine in hand I wondered how much we could actually get done. Then someone said there was a party on the second floor. I was coaxed into going and was glad. Some culminators were there. Heidi put her black sweats and grey t shirt on.

It was strange to see those culminators that came by with their significant others in tow. IT was as if they themselves were torn, “ I want to stay, but I should go.” It was as if we have dual personalities, those we show here and those we share with others. I have often heard culminators describe this place and experience as a special sanctuary. Sharing it with outsiders feels odd. The closer I get to culminating the more I can see this.

We all toast the graduates


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home