Perpetual Learner- The adventure of going back to school

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Fall Residency 2006- Saturday- HIKE-UP!

We wanted to hike as high as we could so we asked about smugglers notch. We would have picked somewhere else, but decided it was not that safe being it was the first day of youth hunting day. I can imagine, give a bunch of teenagers guns and send them into the woods. And me with my leather jacket looking much like a deer. The owners of the resort gave me a beautiful bright orange vest. There was a part of me that wondered if it was really youth hunting day or if they were trying to single out the city woman to see if she would ware such a vest. I wore it.













Apparently the notch is where the road is closed and it received its name because of the history of smuggling of booze through the area.

We were told we could drive up as far as we could and then park. There was an area to sign in, I guess so they could tell if you came down from the mountain. I signed in but was unsure what to put as my destination, so I wrote “UP!” It was a beautiful walk up the mountain road; we were told it was a mile. i loved the streams coming down the mountain with the frozen drips of ice. Though there was no snow when we parked we quickly found ourselves walking into a snowy wonderland, and at the top there was quite a bit of ice and snow on the road, along with what appeared to be mud and rocks from falling rocks.

We met some ice climbers from Canada. I hear that is a very big sport. To me trying to climb melting ice is not my idea of a safe and good time. It was a great day of hiking. Wish we could have gone to the top. The bottom picture shows the top of this mountain that we were on, from a distance of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home